Monday 23 July 2012

Purchases, ad hoc research and more drawings...


It's been a few posts since I've published any pictures of miniatures, sorry about that - the in-laws are in town, so painting time is at a premium at the moment!

I picked these up yesterday from "The Works" (for anyone outside of the UK, this is an outlet book store which also stocks crafty/arty stuff).  I don't know if they carry this stuff in all their stores, as I've only been to the one here in Swindon:


The vintage Space Marine is included for size comparison purposes...


The colour detailers will be great for working on buildings, especially when trying to fill holes or get stonework to join up/mesh.  At £2.99 I thought they were a bit of a steal to be honest.  As you can see the paint is metallic red - I'm not sure how this is going to work out (I've got some ideas for it's use - Vampire armour anyone?), but at £1.99 for that much paint, it's not too much of a gamble really.  I'll be posting my experiments with this paint in the next month or so.


Due to the invasion of the in-laws, this weekend we were in Wales, and visited Brecon on our way home, so for your pleasure, I include a picture of Brecon Castle:




I stayed there about 8 years ago (in the hotel part, not the actual castle part sadly), and it's a very nice place (the breakfast rocked), although it's best to avoid the town in tourist season, or you'll go crazy...


Building Design #2 - The next in my series of dalliances with pencil and squared paper:


I am more than happy for people to use these drawing to construct buildings, just please let me know how you get on with them.  I'm not sure if I'll ever build this one, but it would be nice if someone gave it a go.

A quick question for all of you - if/when you post from the blogger web based post writer, have you had any issues with all the text coming out with a white background if you've copied and pasted it?  It certainly shows up as my blog has a black-based theme, and I have to manually set the text background to black, which has to be done at the end or editing gets tricky.  It's getting very annoying, and I'm considering switching to Windows Live Writer or BlogJet instead.

As always comments and criticism welcome!

9 comments:

  1. 2.99 for Colour shapers is a bleeing steal. I got mine off of Ebay for around 15 quid and I thoguht I had done well judging by the other auctions. Congrats on that sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the quality of these ones though, they'll be good for rough work, not really for anything precise. I have a more expensive one from a local art shop - there's a big difference in the rubber for a start. Hence the low price tag I guess

      Delete
  2. It's not just with copy/paste that you get the white background - I've had it for random bits of text and for bulleted lists. I've also seen it on a number of other blogs that I follow. It is worse for white text on black background, such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to Google for a fix then. I've seen it on a couple of other blog's now too. Thank you for confirming it's not just me!

      Delete
    2. When I read your blog in Goodle Reader, some parts of the text are black on a black background, so its only when I follow the entry through to here that I can read it (which I do, and very much enjoy!)

      Delete
    3. Cheers Andy, I hand't thought about Google reader. I've resorted to manually setting the text background to black, which fixes it on the site - but obviously screwing it up for other readers, bugger.

      Glad you're enjoying the posts though. :-)

      Delete
  3. I've just done my first bit of scratch build and I loved doing it. I'll remember these pictures and come back to study them when I get good enough to do buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, can't wait to see some pictures! Terrain building makes me feel like a kid again. :-)

      Delete