Tuesday 6 March 2012

Further Prayer...

A little more done on the praying knight from Reaper - this is "bright" for me...


There's plenty of work still to be done (I keep spotting bits of blending that need to be improved), but I'm pleased with the solid start I've made.  The grey of the scabbard is not-so-subtly pinched from Jeff at Pirate Viking Painting, who took the Charadon Granite base coat I use for green and added codex grey to it, which works really rather well. 

The green is not based on Charadon Granite (I'm trying this bright malarkey remember?), but followed the scheme I've used on my Eldar Dire Avengers (still numbering only two completed at present):
  • Base:  Catachan Green
  • Shade:  Devlan Mud
  • H1:  Catachan Green
  • H2:  1:1 mix Catachan Green and Camo Green
  • H3:  Camo Green
  • H4:  1:1 mix Camo Green and Dheneb Stone
I like this colour as it's light, without being gaudy (despite using Camo Green).

The yellow is slightly different to my usual Tausept Ochre base and Gryphonne Sepia wash scheme, but to be frank it looks the damned same anyway, and was more effort.  It looks a little flat in the picture (phone camera again), but it looks better in "real life", trust me.
  • Base:  Calthan Brown
  • H1:  2:1 mix Calthan Brown and Tausept Ochre
  • H2:  1:2 mix Calthan Brown and Tausept Ochre
  • H3:  Tausept Ochre
  • H4:  1:1 mix Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun
  • H5:  Iyanden Darksun
  • H6:  1:1 mix Iyanden Darksun and Dheneb Stone
All that for no extra benefit over Breviccus Flavus - rubbish.  Thankfully I've painted all the yellow bits.

In other news, I found out about this WIP skirmish game from Andy Hoare:  



This has really piqued my interest - while I love all the alternative worlds and stuff out there, I've had a real hankering for a proper old-fashioned style fantasy game, something a bit Conan or Red Sonja in feel to it.  I've downloaded the rules, but haven't had a chance to read through them yet.  However I'm already scouring the Reaper and Hasslefree websites to come up with some ideas for a warband or two (or three, four, etc) - I'm going to try and push our gaming group to give it a go (if we can fit it in).

I hopefully should have the Knight done this weekend, then I've got a load of other projects to be cracking on with...

Onwards and upwards (possibly sideways)!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff, please drop by and let me know how you get on :-)

    All the best, Andy H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! Got a whole load of ideas for warbands, just need to pick a couple to focus on.

      Delete