Wednesday 19 September 2012

Synful?

Next up on my "miniatures that needed finishing" list is Valaska Syn from Hasslefree miniatures.

 ...and I'm not sure she works...


The model itself is nice, and I wanted to veer away from the rather obvious purple/pink and black Slaaneshi look and go for a more no-nonsense butcher type character - still evil and nasty, just without quite so much of the kinky bondage feel.  If you've seen the rather ropey/awesome "Legend of the Seeker" TV series, I was aiming for a Mord Sith look, without the...ahem..."truncheon" shock weapon thing (seriously, that was just...wrong).  Thinking about it, maybe that wasn't the best idea if I was trying to get away from the kinky bondage look...


Of course this "no kinky bondage" idea all falls apart when you see the rear (pun very much intended) of the model and it's all hanging out.  I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but this felt a bit unnecessary, and actually detracted from the feel of the model, rather than adding to it.  Maybe I should have sculpted some extra skirt (Mrs Walker suggested that this evening after I'd painted her). She's still pretty tame in comparison to some of the stuff from Kabuki and Kingdom Death though, and at least she's wearing underwear...

The gold works well (base of Dryad Bark, highlighted with increasing amounts of Burnished Gold mixed in, and then some Mithril Silver to finish off), and I think the boots look pretty damn good (if bloody uncomfortable to wear I would imagine).  The leather was Dryad Bark, shaded with Agrax Earthshade, highlighted with Mournfang Brown, and then some Deathclaw Brown.  It kind of works, but I'm not sure - I don't think it has enough "Oomph" in it, and maybe could have done with more of a red hue to it.


I wanted the skin to be really, really pale, a "cosmetic" mark of Chaos.  It's based with Rakarth Flesh, then shaded with Gryphonne Sepia.  To be honest I wiped out most of the wash in the end as it was too dark, over-painting it with the base coat and then building up the highlights with more and more white (Ceramite White still doing the business), until a pure white highlight.


The Axe blade was based with Charadon Granite (yeah I know) and washed with Agrax Earthshade, then drybrushed with Boltgun Metal, Chainmail, Mithril Silver and then Silver with some white mixed in.  I then glazed the pockmarked areas with the new red glaze and some Agrax Earthshade, and highlighted again.  I like the blood red hue this gives the axe, hinting at something malevolent within the weapon.

So what does everyone think?  I'm fairly happy with the way she looks, I just think she could have been so much more striking, and I missed somehow.

As always, comments and criticism welcome?

7 comments:

  1. I like her! I think it works. But then, my personal preference lately has been gravitating to more simple & subdued schemes & tones- I think it's more elegant, and this fits that well.

    I really like the skin.

    My only suggestion would be to match the leather wrap of the axe to her darker leather. introducing a new color of the light leather wrap doesn't add anything, and visually competes with the lighter areas of the skin & bronze, it being only the handle of the weapon, not a benefit for it to compete for drawing the eye from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say I'm sold on the colour scheme, the skin is particularly 'spooky'. I'm staggered by the amount of layers on the axe head, but having seen your work in the flesh, I just know it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sublime miniature, I love the pale skin she would make a good vampire figure. Which I'd never of thought of if I hadn't seen how good she looks with the paler skin.

    Nice work very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works well as it is, but you are right that it is lacking the certain extra bling.
    Could it be the lack of complementary colors? There should be some blue to set off the bronze and the leather dress could be going more into the yellowish-orangy brown. But I am not an expert, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments guys!

    Based on your comments I'll look at redoing the grip of the axe, and maybe adding a little more colour to the dress. I want to stick with the "sepia" tone to the model, rather than add any blue, but thank you for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it a lot Andy. I am curious about the lovely foliage at the base (great contrast w the axe in the last shot BTW). Who makes it?
    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir!

      The foliage is made by a company called Silflor/MiniNatur - you can get all their range from Antenociti's Workshop here:

      http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargames-bases-basing/mininatur-silflor.html

      Delete